Friday, May 22, 2009

Giving that Gives

I have read two articles today that disturb and encourage me all in the same. Though we all know that our nation of affluence has undergone recent set backs that have touch every area our lives. We can't make light of the financial pain and adjustments that people have had to make in their life. I have read studies that virtually everyone has been financially affected by the downturn. Pain is felt by all.

The first article I read today broke my heart. It shows how the downturn in the economy has ripple effects that spread beyond our borders. When I read how one of the strongest church planting, care giving international mission agencies in the country is reducing it missionary personnel appointments in the future, I was saddened. The International Mission Board (IMB), the largest evangelical mission sending agency in the world, is being forced to reduce future missionary appointments. This isn't good for God's ultimate calling to all believers go to the ends of the earth. We must continue to do what William Carey said to do: "hold the rope, as he goes down into the pit." There is something deep in my heart that simply isn't right about slowing down God's global work, when we should be speeding up.


The second article encouraged my spirit when I see creative ways God's people in the church are responding the hard times. Instead of turning inward, I love it when churches turns outward. Kudos's to Cross Timber Community Church for how they are opening themselves up to the community and stepping up.

I am thankful that I get to Pastor a people who knows the value of global missions as our church ranks in the top giving churches by per capita giving to the IMB. When our contributors give to our Global Missions offering, 50% of it goes directly to support IMB missionaries on the field. Of the remaining: 30% goes to support missions throughout North America, 10% goes to support missions throughout Arkansas and 10% goes to help orphanages and crisis family support in Arkansas. Giving is a beautiful act of service.

HOPE-NWA has become a local initiative to keep hope alive in Northwest Arkansas. This is an initiative started at Grace Point Church, but has quickly spread to become a community effort to nurture hope in practical and free ways, much like the Cross Timber's Community effort. There are many new and developing community projects in the making so get ready to be a part.

So the next time you think of giving to something, ask the question, "what is my giving - giving?"

No comments: